Sports complex renovations reach completion

by | Sep 6, 2018 | Latest

Renovations to the sports fields located at J.M. Caldwell Sr. Community Park are now complete. (Courtesy photo)

After months of work, the city of Princeton has finished renovations to the sports complex, located at the J.M. Caldwell Sr. Community Park.

Renovations included the removal of existing dugouts, chain link, posts, fences, and concrete from existing gate to gate. The total cost of construction was $297,790, with 80 percent being funded through the Princeton Community Development Corporation and the remaining 20 percent from general funds at an amount of $59,558.

The demolition on the project started June 15 and construction finished Friday, Aug. 31.

“These are now four of the nicest fields in Collin County and all players will have a sense of pride every time they get the opportunity to play. We will to continue to expand and rejuvenate the park facilities throughout town for all citizens to enjoy,” Director of Parks and Recreation Chase Bryant said.

The city of Princeton offers baseball/softball in the spring and fall for ages 4-12, soccer in the spring and fall for ages 3-12, football/cheerleading in the fall for Pre-K through 6th grade, volleyball in the fall for 3rd – 6th grade and basketball in the winter for Kindergarten through 6th grade.

With the renovations complete, the city will now be hosting many competitive travel baseball/softball tournaments which will bring teams from all over North Texas.

The project, Bryant said, was completed by Mike Rogers Construction, the same contractor that constructed the mile long hike and bike trail at the park.

By Wyndi Veigel • News Editor • [email protected]

For more stories like this subscribe in print or online.

0 Comments

Related News

Panthers compete in Buffalo Stampede

Panthers compete in Buffalo Stampede

Princeton cross-country returned to action for their fifth meet of the year last Thursday in Haltom. Senior Aubrey Leverton had another top-five finish in the girls varsity 5K, finishing fourth (20:17.82). J. J. Pearce won the girls team competition, while junior...

read more
Third special session begins

Third special session begins

The Texas Legislature started its third special session Monday, Sept. 20. Gov. Greg Abbott announced the third special session Sept. 7 and identified five agenda items including redistricting. “The Texas Legislature now has the opportunity to redraw legislative and...

read more
EDC considers hiring director

EDC considers hiring director

Princeton Economic Development Corporation may soon have an employee to call its own. The board discussed possibly hiring a director during the Sept. 13 special meeting. No decision was made, but the board asked EDC President Sherry Campbell to contact other EDCs in...

read more
City hires new library director

City hires new library director

Glenda Puckett has big shoes to fill, but she is excited to take on the challenge. Puckett replaced Cathy Dunkel, who retired in August, as the new library director. Although she started in utility billing, Puckett has experience working in a library. Before taking...

read more
PISD board keeps masks optional

PISD board keeps masks optional

The Princeton ISD school board discussed how to prepare for COVID outbreaks during the regular meeting Monday, Sept. 20. The board opened the meeting with public comments. Thirteen speakers were given three minutes each to speak on any topic, with a majority speaking...

read more
Lady Panthers swept by The Colony

Lady Panthers swept by The Colony

The Princeton volleyball team lost its Tuesday night matchup at The Colony, losing in three sets: 25-12, 25-19, 25-17. Junior Rachel Sadler led the Lady Panthers with seven kills, 14 digs and a block. Senior Brooklyn Purcella had six kills. With the loss, the Lady...

read more
Governor announced additional agenda items

Governor announced additional agenda items

Gov. Greg Abbott announced additional agenda items to be added to the third called session, which began Monday, Sept. 20. The announcement came Sept. 22 after Abbott submitted a message to the Secretary of the Senate identifying the items. The first additional item is...

read more
Panthers race in Lewisville

Panthers race in Lewisville

The Princeton cross country team returned to action for their fourth meet of the year last Thursday at Lake Park in Lewisville. Senior Aubrey Leverton earned her second straight win of the season with a personal best of 19:46 in the girls varsity 5K.  Leverton,...

read more
Lady Panthers lose to McKinney North

Lady Panthers lose to McKinney North

The Lady Panthers started off district play last Friday. Princeton (18-12) played well in its preseason schedule. Matched up against some of the best 5A opponents, the Lady Panthers held their own. Princeton would need this momentum heading into one of the toughest...

read more